Restaurants and Food

Food Establishments

Cabell County currently has more than 700 food service establishments, which include restaurants, bars, childcare centers, hospitals, grocery stores, temporary food establishments and mobile food units. All food establishments are required to have a food service permit to operate. In order to obtain a permit, the following information must be submitted to the health department for review:

  • Completed plan review form (SF-35) which can be found below
  • Floor plan of the establishment
  • Equipment listing (showing type of equipment and manufacture model number)

Once plan approval is granted, the establishment must be inspected and an operational permit issued prior to opening. Food service establishments are then inspected a minimum of once every six months in accordance with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) 2013 Food Code. PDF versions of the documents are available below. If you have further questions about opening a food service establishment please contact the Environmental Health section of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department at (304) 523-6483, ext. 264.

Floor plans and the Plan Review Information Report must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the start of construction, conversion, or remodeling, for our office to review. This is to help the facility in case adjustments must be made to meet our codes and regulations. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the Environmental Health section of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department at (304) 523-6483, Ex. 264.

For food protection manager and food handler information, please click here

Grease Traps

Grease traps/interceptors are required to receive the drainage from fixtures and equipment from grease-laden waste located in food preparation areas, such as in restaurants, hotel kitchens, hospitals, school kitchens, bars, factory cafeterias, clubs, and other institutions. Grease traps/interceptors should receive waste only from fixtures that allow fats, oils, or grease to be discharged. Dishwashers should only be included when necessary in order to capture grease that cannot be otherwise contained.

Farmers Markets 

​Farmers Markets and Direct Sales Farmers will be required to have a West Virginia State Business License and, if applicable, a City/County Business License.  If selling at an established Farmers Market, each vendor must have a vendor permit to operate at that location.  Only Farmers Markets that are licensed as a corporation or a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) are required to register with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office.  ALL Farmers Markets and Direct Sales Farmers need to register with the West Virginia Department of Tax and Revenue if they sell anything that requires taxes be collected. 

While there is not a comprehensive website of all the licenses and permits required by Farmers Markets, the following links will provide essential information. 

  • West Virginia Secretary of State – Code of State Rules (64CSR102) on Farmers Market Vendor Permits 
  • Office of Environmental Health Services, Public Health Sanitation Division (PHS) website 
  • Farmers Market Vendor Guide, which provides guidance on eggs, meats, poultry, dairy, fish, sprouted seeds, and other foods determined on a case-by-case basis 
  • SB285 Farmers Markets