Restaurant Permits

Cabell County currently has more than 700 food service establishments, which include restaurants, bars, child care centers, hospitals, grocery stores, temporary food establishments and mobile food units. All food establishments are required to have a food service permit to operate. In order to obtain a permit the following information must be submitted to the health department for review:

Once plan approval is granted the establishment must be inspected and an operational permit issued prior to opening. Food service establishments are then inspected a minimum of once each six months in accordance with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) 2013 Food Code. PDF versions of the documents are available below. If you have further questions about opening a food service establishment please contact the Environmental Health section of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department at (304) 523-6483, ext. 264.

Floor plans and the Plan Review Information Report must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the start of construction, conversion, or remodeling, for our office to review. This is to help the facility in case adjustments must be made to meet our codes and regulations. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the Environmental Health section of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department at (304) 523-6483, Ex. 264.

Restaurant Permit Documents

Food Establishments Legislative Rule
Plan Review
Permit Requirements for Restaurant
2010 Clean Indoor Air Regulation
2003 Supreme Court Decision
Bare Handling of Foods
Cabell-Huntington Board of Health Food Service Worker Regulations
Food Safety
List of Critical Violations

Drinking Water Fact Sheet

Applicant and Food Employee Interview

Food Employee Reporting Agreement

Applicant and Food Employee Medical Referral



Day Care / Family Care

Food Handler Information

Grease Traps

Home Loan Evaluations

Hotel/Motel Inspections

Landlord/Tenant Rights

Manufactured Home Communities

Recreational Water Facilities

Restaurant Permits


Septic Tank Testing


Tattoo / Body Piercings

Water Supply Testing

Water Wells

Certified Food Manager Course

Rabies & Pests