How to get a food handler card
This course is required for all Cabell County employees that handle food and/or wash dishes. The purpose of this course is to reduce food borne illness and teach sanitary food practices. The course covers proper food handling practices that are required under the 2013 FDA Food Code.
- Employees must obtain a valid food service worker card within thirty (30) days of hire.
- A copy of this card must be kept at the place of employment.
Online Food Service Worker Classes
Cabell-Huntington Health Department has partnered with statefoodsafety.com to offer online food service worker classes for purchase. A food service worker may click one of the links above and then click “Add to Cart” for the State Food Safety class. The cost for the online class is $20.00 and can be taken at any time. The food handler card received from online is valid for 3 years. It is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Serbo-Croatian, and American Sign Language. The length of the course is 75 minutes.
If you need to reprint your current card, login to your StateFoodSafety user account and go to the Certificates section. From there, you can click the View Certificate button and print your card.
Instructor Led Classes using Zoom
Instructor Led Classes are currently offered via Zoom and limited to 20 participants.
In person classes are suspended until further notice.
We offer instructor led classes free of charge. They will be offered via Zoom until further notice. We also offer Spanish and Chinese classes when needed. This card is valid for 3 years.
- Pre-registration is required for the classes at the health department – please visit https://cabellhealth.org/event/food-handler/ to schedule for the class.
- The class will last about two (2) hours.
- These classes are given every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at 9:30AM and 2:00PM.