Food Handler Information

How to get a food handler card

This course is required for all Cabell County employees that handle food and/or wash dishes. The purpose of this course is to reduce food borne illness and teach sanitary food practices. The course covers proper food handling practices that are required under the 2013 FDA Food Code.

  • Employees must obtain a valid food service worker card within thirty (30) days of hire.
  • A copy of this card must be kept at the place of employment. 

Instructor Led Classes-in person

We offer instructor led classes free of charge. The classes are taught at the Cabell-Huntington Health Department located at 703 7th Avenue in Huntington.  This card is valid for 3 years.

  • Pre-registration is required using the online form-click on the date to register below. 
  • There will be a limit of 30 people.
  • Classes will be offered the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 9:30AM and 2:00PM.
  • Arrive 10-15 minutes early; NO latecomers allowed.
  • Register online TODAY! 

Lost or replacement card for instructor lead class
If your card is expired, you just need to take the online or instructor course again.
If your card is valid, you can call (304) 523-6483 to get a replacement card.

Online Food Service Worker Classes

Cabell-Huntington Health Department has partnered with to offer online food service worker classes for purchase. A food service worker may click one of the links above and then click “Add to Cart” for the State Food Safety class. The cost for the online class is $20.00 and can be taken at any time. The food handler card received from online is valid for 3 years. It is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Serbo-Croatian, and American Sign Language. The length of the course is 75 minutes.

Lost or replacement online cards
If your card is valid, you can contact State Food Safety to get a replacement card.



Day Care / Family Care

Food Handler Information

Grease Traps

Home Loan Evaluations

Hotel/Motel Inspections

Landlord/Tenant Rights

Manufactured Home Communities

Recreational Water Facilities

Restaurant Permits


Septic Tank Testing


Tattoo / Body Piercings

Water Supply Testing

Water Wells

Certified Food Manager Course

Rabies & Pests