Which employees need to have food handler?
Any employee who works in a food establishment defined as “An operation that is conducted in a mobile, stationary, temporary, or permanent facility or location; where consumption is on or off the PREMISES; and regardless of whether there is a charge for the FOOD” according to the 2013 FDA Food Code. An employee will not have to get a food handler card if the establishment only sells prepackage foods that are not time/temperature controlled.
Where do we sign up for food handlers?
You can sign up through statefoodsafety.com or through our website
How long do we have to get food handler cards for employees?
New employees have 30 days after date of hire to obtain a food handler card.
How long is my food handler card valid?
Do we need to have copies of our food handler cards?
Yes, physical copies need to be available onsite of establishment, and it’s handy to keep multiple copies elsewhere in case one gets lost
Are food handler cards from other counties valid in Cabell?
Yes, as long as the food handler card was obtained in WV, we will accept it.
Who can be ServSafe certified?
Specifically for ServSafe certified food protection manager, it needs to be someone who is 18+ or older and in a managerial position. The food protection manager needs to be aware that they have to be readily available at all times. A food manager is not required for establishments that only sell prepackaged foods and temporary establishments
What is the certified food manager course?
The certified food manager course teaches an individual, specifically in a managerial position, the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to help their employees and the establishment in protecting the public from foodborne illnesses
Is my food manager certification from another state valid? Where can I take my certified food manager course?
Yes, and you can take the food manager course through statefoodsafety.com or servsafe.com
Where can we get sanitizer test strips?
You can purchase sanitizer test strips through Amazon and other various websites
What are the main things we check for during a food inspection?
- Food from safe sources
- Adequate cooking
- Proper holding temperatures
- Clean and sanitized equipment
- Personal hygiene (handwashing, hair restraints, etc.)
Who needs to sign the inspection sheet?
Anyone – the purpose of someone signing the inspection sheet is to show that someone who works at the establishment witnessed the inspection and was informed of the violations
Do managers need to follow during the inspection?
No, it’s up to the manager whether or not they follow during the inspection.
What establishments need to have a food permit?
Any establishment that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends food directly to the consumer, or otherwise provides FOOD for human consumption such as a restaurant; satellite or catered feeding location; catering operation if the operation provides FOOD directly to a CONSUMER or to a conveyance used to transport people; market; vending location; conveyance used to transport people; institution; or FOOD bank; and relinquishes possession of FOOD to a CONSUMER directly, or indirectly through a delivery service such as home delivery of grocery orders or restaurant takeout orders, or delivery service that is provided by common carriers
Do we need to send pool logs to the Health Department?
Yes, weekly. Please go to our recreational water facilities page for the weekly log form
Who needs to be the certified pool operator?
Recreational water facilities need at least one certified pool operator who can be reached by telephone within 30 minutes and can be onsite within 60 minutes. The CPO also has to visit the water facility a minimum of once per week during period of operation.
How do I become a certified pool operator?
You can visit https://pooloperationmanagement.com/ to register for CPO training
Where can I take my certified pool operator course?
Visit https://pooloperationmanagement.com/ for different CPO courses – online or in-person
What is microblading?
Microblading is a semipermanent technique to enhance the appearance of the eyebrows by using a hand tool with a blade to scratch pigment into the skin
Do I need to have a permit for microblading?
How do I get a permit for microblading?
Please fill out the tattoo studio plan review and the SG-49 application for permit and send it to Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
Who gets bed bugs?
Anyone can get bed bugs; they can be picked up from anywhere or anything. It’s important to reduce clutter to reduce the number of places bed bugs can hide
What are signs of bed bug activity?
- Actual bed bugs
- Explained human blood stains on sheets, linens, or beds
- Insect fecal stains on sheets, linens, or beds
- Insect bites on your body
- Cast-off insect skin
- Insect eggs
What do I do if I find beg bugs in my rental unit?
- Immediately report the presence of bed bugs to your landlord and cooperate with their efforts to get rid of the bed bugs, including any inspections and prevention policies
- Prepare for bed bug treatment according to guidance from your landlord or the pest management company
- Do not immediately throw out all of your belongings – clothing and linens can be laundered
- Reduce or eliminate as much “clutter” as possible
- Do not try to solve the problem yourself
I notified my landlord about bedbugs that came from someone else’s apartment. Now the landlord says I must get rid of my couch, mattress, and box spring. Who’s going to pay for me to get a new couch and bed?
That depends on whether anyone did anything “wrong.” Sometimes bed bugs appear and it’s no one’s “fault.” In that case, there’s no one that is obligated to pay for your loss. The landlord will have to pay for treatment. You will have to pay for replacement of your stuff.
Suppose your neighbor knew he had bed bugs, but didn’t tell the landlord. So the problem got worse, and the bed bugs spread to your apartment. You may be able to sue the neighbor.
Suppose the neighbor DID tell the landlord, but the landlord didn’t take appropriate steps to treat the bed bugs. You may be able to sue the landlord.
Suppose the landlord knew the building had bed bugs before you moved in, and didn’t tell you about them. You may be able to sue the landlord.
But if no one did anything wrong, then there’s no one you can force to pay for the damage.
What should I do if my landlord does not get rid of the bed bugs?
- If the landlord does not take prompt steps to get rid of the bed bugs, contact your local building or housing code enforcement office. Also, you should report the problem to your local health department.
- If the landlord has failed to take reasonable steps to treat the bed bugs, you may be able to move out with no further obligation under your lease or rental agreement. [Be careful not to carry the little guys with you to the next place!]
- In some situations you may be able to sue the landlord for money damages. But you will have to prove that:
- you met all tenant obligations to protect against bringing bed bugs into the building; AND
- the landlord failed to take reasonable steps to treat the bed bugs, AND
- the damage you suffered happened after the landlord failed to take reasonable steps.
If I move, how do I protect against bringing bed bugs with me?
- Wash and dry (on high heat) all your clothing and linens and cloth things. That includes children’s stuffed animals and toys.
- Bag the clean things in new, unused trash bags or plastic bins, and seal them up. If possible, put them in a safe, non-infested place until you can take them to your new home.
- Carefully inspect ALL furniture, whether upholstered or not.
- Do NOT bring any infested furniture to the new home
Does my permit expire?
Tattoo and body piercing, hotel/motels, schools, residential/group homes, and mobile food truck permits expire every June 30th